Bangkok’s riverside area is one of the best places to unwind with a glass of cocktail or wine. For one thing, the view – particularly at sunset – is guaranteed to impress you (and your date). The ambiance is also another big plus, as most are part of the hotel establishments lining the two Chao Phraya riverbanks. Discover all that the riverside has to offer, from old-school charms at the Mandarin Oriental’s Bamboo Bar to the iconic Sky Bar’s jaw-dropping 360-degree city and river views from Millennium Hilton Bangkok.
342 Rooftop Bar
This stylish bar may well be one of the shortest ‘rooftop’ bars in Bangkok; set on the fifth floor of the Baan Wanglang Hotel, its height pales in comparison to most other venues falling into the same category in Bangkok. However, don’t let this fact put you off; what 342 Bar lacks in height, it more Read More...
- Opening Hours: 12:00 - late
- Address: 342 Soi Wat Rakang (Arun Ammarin 18) Bangkok
- Tel: +66 (0) 2 412 7234
Above Riva Rooftop Restaurant at Riva Arun Bangkok
Above Riva at the charming boutique hotel, Riva Arun Bangkok, is a riverside rooftop bar with reasonable prices and panoramic views of the city. This brand new bar and restaurant offers both Thai and international cuisine, and a selection of signature cocktails. Above Riva Rooftop is located on the fourth floor of the Riva Arun Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:00-23:30 (daily)
- Location: 392/25-26 Maharaj Road, Phra Nakhon
- BTS: Saphan Taksin
- Tel: +66 (0)2 221 1188
Apsara River Cruise by Banyan Tree Bangkok
Travelling the Chao Phraya River at night, with the temples lit-up along the banks, is one of the must-do experiences in Bangkok, and the luxury of the Apsara truly is a cut above the majority of boats travelling this well-worn tourist trail. Taking time to pause in front of the famous sights, passengers are treated to Read More...
- Opening Hours: Cruise start : 8.00-9.45pm
- Location: River City Shopping Complex 23 Trok Rongnamkhaeng, Charoen Krung 30, Si Phaya Pier, Yota Road, Sampantawong, Bangkok 10100,Thailand
Asiatique The Riverfront
Asiatique has successfully combined two of the most popular shopping experiences in the city: a night bazaar and a mall. Ten minutes downriver from Saphan Taksin BTS station this once-bustling international trade port has been transformed, with over 1,500 boutiques and 40 restaurants housed under a huge replica warehouse complex. Open from 17:00, spending an evening Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:00-midnight
- Location: Chareonkrung Soi 74-76
- How to get there: The easiest and fastest way to get there is via boat. Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and jump on the free shuttle at the end of the pier. It only takes ten minutes, and the boat runs until 23:00. Taxis are not recommended as the traffic can be terrible in this area.
Attitude Rooftop at Avani Bangkok
Attitude Rooftop at Avani Bangkok Hotel is a Riverside cocktail bar that offers an excellent place to head to in the evening for a few drinks with friends. This modern bar has stunning views and an extensive cocktail menu. The Attitude Rooftop is on the twenty-sixth floor of the Avani Riverside Bangkok Hotel, which is a Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:30-1:00 (daily)
- Location: 257 Charoennakorn Road, Thonburi
- BTS: Saphan Taksin
- Tel: +66 (0)2 431 9100
In keeping with the Orientals colonial style, Bamboo Bar could well be from a scene in Out Of Africa with its plush jungle-style interior and polished furnishings. The low-key bar exudes a feeling of old school glamour perfect for enjoying a signature “Oriental Mai Tai” cocktail prepared by the skilled bartender, trained at the world renowned Read More...
- Opening Hours: 11am-2am (Friday-Saturday) - 11am-1am (Sunday-Thursday)
- Address: Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, 48 Oriental Avenue
- Tel: +66 (0) 2659 9000
Bangkok River Cruises
One of the best ways to experience the Chao Phraya River is at night on a dinner cruise. The river really is at its prettiest as the sun sets over the city, the sky turning ever darker shades and the iconic Wat Arun and Grand Palace both lit up in all their glory.
Whilst there are many river cruises to choose from, we have hand-picked two of the best. The first, Aspara Dinner Cruise by Banyan Tree offers a delightfully romantic with a set dinner to enjoy as you peacefully drift past all of the famous landmarks on the river. Our second choice, the Chao Phraya Princess Cruise, is more of a casual affair, with a dinner buffet, live dancing and music and much more mingling between passengers. Both are great value for money, and you can book them right here.
Be My Guest
Fancy a change from all the five-star hotels and plush restaurants on the riverside but still want to soak up those pretty views across the water? Then Be My Guest, with its no-frills menu of Thai and western classics and more-than relaxed dress code, is a great bet. This riverside bar/restaurant sits in the shadows of the looming Millennium Hilton which towers above, and whilst this luxury hotel boasts a whole list of fine wining and dinging option, Be My Guests specialises in delivering a less refined, more laidback vibe.
As well as hotel guests, Be My Guests also welcomes plenty of Thais who come to enjoy the cheap local beers, authentic Thai food and those romantic river views. A great spot if you want to impress your date without dipping too deep into your pocket. Get there by heading to Klong San Pier, or just ask your taxi driver for the Millennium Hilton to avoid confusion.
- Opening Hours: 16:00 - 24:00 Daily
- Address: 217 Charoennakorn Road, Bangkok (at Klongsan Pier)
- Tel: +652 259 2653
Calypso Cabaret at Asiatique
Calypso Cabaret Show at Asiatique gives you one of the warmest welcomes you can find in the land of smiles and does so in many different languages. Thailand is well known for ladyboys and Calypso showcases them doing what they love the most: dressing up to the nines and miming to Cher. Some of these ‘ladies’ Read More...
- Opening Hours: Twice daily at 20:15 and 21:45
- Address: 2194 Charoenkrung 72-74 Road, Bangkok
Distil Rooftop Bar at Lebua
Distil, the second rooftop bar located on top of the famous lebua tower, is a cocktail bar and lounge marrying the most innovative drinks in Bangkok with a seriously awe-inspiring view from the 64th floor of lebua Hotel. Comprised of an indoor seating area of comfy sofas, a circular bar, and an outdoor cigar terrace, this Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:00 – 01:00
- Location: State Tower, 1055 Silom Road, Bangrak, Bangkok
- Tel: +66 (0) 2624 9555
Live Music at Trader Vic's
Trader Vic’s is famous across the world for being the birthplace of the Mai Tai cocktail at its original venue in California. Bangkok has its very own branch at the stunning Anantara Riverside Resort on the Thonburi side of the river, which sticks to the fun and lively Polynesian theme.
As well as being able to Read More...
- BTS: Saphan Taksin (take the complimentary Ananatara shuttle boat from Sathorn Pier in front of the station. The boat leaves every 30 minutes)?
- Address: 257 Charoennakorn Road, Anantara Bangkok Riverside, Bangkok
- Tel: +66 (0) 2 476 0022
Muay Thai Live show at Asiatique Bangkok
Muay Thai Live at Asiatique Bangkok is an exciting theatrical show combining entertaining performances with the ancient martial art of Muay Thai boxing. Great for theatre enthusiasts, families or just anybody wanting to get an exhilarating insight into Thai culture, this 90 minute show really left us impressed, eager to don our skimpy shorts and get Read More...
- Opening Hours: 20:00 Daily
- Address: THE STAGE Theatre, Asiatique Bangkok, Chareonkrung Soi 74-76
- How to get there: Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and jump on the free shuttle at the end of the pier. Alternatively, tell your taxi driver to go to Asiatique.
Rivercity Shopping Complex
Set by the water’s edge, River City is an ideal place to enjoy a delectable meal, while taking in vistas of the Chao Phraya River. The waterfront promenade has a small lineup of fine-dining restaurants, all featuring outdoor terraces. Viva & Aviv is a popular venue for dinner and drinks, with a large terrace and DJs Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00-24:00
- Location: Charoen Krung Soi 30 (next to the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel)
- Tel: +66 (0) 2237 0077-8
- How to get there: Get on the BTS to Saphan Taksin Station. There's a free shuttle boat service to Rivercity available at Sathorn Pier everyday from 10:00 to 20:00
River Star Princess Dinner Cruise
Cruising along the Chao Phraya River is almost compulsory for those who want to enjoy a relaxing dinner with a scenic view of Bangkok’s well-preserved attractions. River Star Princess Dinner Cruise allows guests to enjoy a two-hour long cruise and buffet experience as they sail along the tranquil Chao Phraya River, witnessing iconic palaces and jewelled Read More...
- Opening Hours: 19:00 – 21:30
- Location: River City Shopping Complex next to Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel
Sala Rattanakosin Eatery and Bar
Sala Rattanakosin restaurant offers one of the most iconic views it’s possible to find in Bangkok. Located on the riverside directly opposite Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn), owners of this boutique hotel have made the most of this privileged location by constructing the entire side of the property out of glass. This means you have Read More...
Enjoy sweeping views from the top of Bangkok's second tallest building, the landmark State Tower with its highly visible golden dome. Tucked away in a corner of the award-winning open air Sirocco restaurant on the 64th floor of Lebua State Tower, Sky Bar's counter is magically illuminated and changes colour every few minutes.
A favourite hang-out Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:00 - 01:00
- Location: Lebua at State Tower (Silom/Riverside)
- Tel: +66 (0) 2 624 9999
- Dress Code: Smart Casual (no beach shorts or flip-flops allowed)
The River Bar – Peninsula Hotel
As well as a five-star restaurant, several swanky lounges and a poolside terrace, Bangkok’s Peninsula Hotel boasts a stunning riverside bar - aptly named ‘The River Bar’. The venue enjoys all the benefits of being outside whilst at the same time is covered with a canopy in case of rain. The sumptuous white seating is both comfortable and stylish and the views across the Chao Phraya River, like many similar joints hugging the river on the Thonburi side, are simply stunning.
As for the menu, this is a five-star hotel, so expect swanky (and pricey) cocktails, wines and imported beers. Their signature ‘Thaijito’ is a blend of cheap ingredients like common Thai rum, peach schnapps, lime juice, mint, pineapple and sugar, yet the end result is surprisingly satisfying, even more so if you sip your drink as the sun sets over the river (from 18:00-19:00 in Bangkok all year round). Get to The River Bar at the Peninsular Hotel by taking a river ferry from the opposite side or by taxi.
- Opening Hours: 15:00 - 24:00 Daily
- Address: The Peninsula Hotel Bangkok (Ground Level) 333 Charoennakorn Road, Bangkok
This sophisticated jazz lounge does justice to its name with unrivalled 360 degree views. Since opening, Three Sixty at Millennium Hilton has become a popular hang-out for Bangkok's jet-set and cultivated travellers. Drinks are moderately priced and (despite being an indoor venue) there are demarcated smoking zones. Take the lift to the 32nd floor of the Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:00 - 01:00
- Address: Millennium Hilton Hotel, 123 Charoennakorn Road, Klongsan
- Tel: +66 (0) 2 442 2000
Viva & Aviv The River
Perfect for some post retail relaxation, the cool Viva Aviv bar on top of River City shopping mall offers great views over the Chao Phraya, as well as some of the finest cocktails you’ll find outside a hotel bar in the area.
Sit outside and enjoy the breeze, or head inside to check out the Caribbean-pirate inspired decor, complete with a big square bar where the flair mixologists concoct interesting cocktails such as Piña Colasi (Appleton Jamaican rum, fresh pineapple, orange and black pepper syrup, citrus and fresh young coconut foam). Beers by the bottle start at a reasonable 90 baht whilst cocktails are in the 200-300 baht price bracket. Look out for special events on their Facebook too, as they're known to host some pulsating themed parties and DJ nights on a regular basis.
- Opening Hours: 10:30-24:00 Daily
- Address: Viva Aviv, B/F, River City Shopping Complex, 23 Yotha Rd. Bangkok
- Tel: +66(0)2 6396305
Red lighting, leather sofas and a back-lit bar set the scene at the Millennium Hilton Bangkok hotel’s Zeta Bar. A part of the award-winning London bar concept that’s already a big hit in Sydney, Kuala Lumpur, and Beijing, this Bangkok bar really awakens when the champagne cocktails and music start flowing.
- Opening Hours: 17:00-02:00
- Address: Millennium Hilton, 123 Charoennakorn Rd.
- Tel: +66 (0) 2442 2000